Sciatica Relief from Old Bridge Spine & Wellness in Old Bridge, NJ
For some patients who visit our Old NJ Spine and Wellness practice, sciatica poses intermittent problems. It can disrupt normal daily living for others. Fortunately, our chiropractors offer natural therapies to treat and manage discomfort for patients who seek relief at our Old Bridge, Freehold, or Matawan location.
What is Sciatica?
Many people are surprised to learn that sciatica is a kind of pain rather than a specific medical diagnosis. It is actually a collection of symptoms of an underlying medical problem.
Sciatic nerve pain results when a condition causes irritation or compression of the sciatic nerve close to its point of origin. The body’s biggest nerve, it forms at the juncture of spinal nerve roots. Portions of this nerve, which runs through the buttock and down the back of the leg, branch to serve the toes, thigh, foot, and calf.
Sciatica is an assortment of symptoms. They typically affect one side of the body, with pain radiating from the lower back, down the back of the affected thigh, and then down the leg. The most common include:
- Constant pain, typically on just one side of a leg or buttock
- Pain starting in the lower back or buttock and following the nerve’s path
- Worsening pain when seated or standing vs. walking or lying down
- Sharp instead of dull pain
- Tingling or prickling sensations down the leg, weakness, or numbness
- Numbness or weakness when attempting to move the foot or leg
- Shooting or otherwise severe leg pain that makes it hard to walk or stand
- Pain and other signs in the toes
- Possible lower back pain, less severe than leg pain
Causes of Sciatic Nerve Pain
Our chiropractors cite these six most common causes of sciatic nerve pain:
- Lumbar herniated disc
- Piriformis syndrome
- Isthmic spondylolisthesis
- Lumbar spinal stenosis
- Degenerative disc disease
- Sacroiliac joint dysfunction
Other causes of sciatic symptoms include pregnancy, infections, scar tissue, ankylosing spondylitis, muscle strains, spinal tumors, and fractures.
Chiropractic Treatment and Management
Chiropractors treat and manage sciatic symptoms using spinal adjustments and manual manipulation. These therapies cause improved alignment of the spinal column. This helps relieve the underlying condition responsible for pain. Massage therapy, acupuncture, and physical exercises are also sometimes beneficial.
Schedule a Consultation with Old Bridge Spine & Wellness In Old Bridge, NJ Today!
Our New Jersey chiropractors use a combination of therapies to treat and manage pain by encouraging the body to self-heal. Individualized therapy might include chiropractic treatment, massage, and an exercise plan. Be sure to call us today to schedule a consultation and start on your path to wellness. Contact Old Bridge Spine & Wellness today!